Shropshire Rural Communities Charity (RCC) is a leading local charity and membership organisation. We are committed to making Shropshire, including Telford & Wrekin, to be a great place for EVERYONE to live, no matter what challenges they face.
People in rural areas face formidable challenges. Together with our network of local volunteers, we develop, deliver and support projects and services which help people who live and work in Shropshire to make things better for themselves and for their community: to meet these challenges, improve their quality of life and strengthen organisations in the County.
We have a strong track record for delivering a wide range of quality services and local projects, often working in partnership with other organisations. We also work closely with organisations and policy makers to make sure the people of Shropshire have a fair voice.
We have been established for almost 60 years. We are independent, local, and linked to a network of 38 similar RCCs operating throughout England. Some of our funding comes from Defra, Local Authorities, and Charitable Trusts, but we also rely on public donations.
Our 17 staff and 150 volunteers are dynamic and innovative with some of our projects achieving national as well as local recognition.
- Awarded Beacon Partner Status (Preventative Services - now Wise and Well team) - 2007
- Community Transport Social Enterprise of the Year (Wheels 2 Work) - October 2008
- Awarded the Cabinet Office's Big Society Awards (Wheels 2 Work) - March 2013
- NIACE (National Institute for Adult Continuing Education) Digital Practitioner of the Year 2013 (Staff member Lisa Darkin) - December 2013
- National Energy Action Community Action Award Winner (tackling fuel poverty) - Feb 2014
We are governed by a Board of Trustees, elected at the AGM. The Board meets five times a year supported by sub-committees covering Finance; Governance & Risk.
The core values of SRCC enable us to achieve our vision of supporting people and achieving change in Shropshire. Our values are: